Thursday, December 12, 2013

2013- 12 Days of Fiction: DAY 12!

Short-Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer


Short-Straw Bride is a light, lovely western romance. 


I should admit here that I am kind of a control freak. 

Sometimes. 

I just, you know....like having control of things.

As a result, one of my biggest spiritual struggles is trust- surrendering to God's will and not giving in to fear. How interesting that control issues are the fatal flaw of our hero, Travis Archer. 
Bound by our common weakness, I journeyed with Travis through the book. And what do you know- the story became a mirror, reflecting my own flaws back to me. I became more aware of my need for change, even as Travis did, in the story.
Once again, Karen does a great job of bringing the characters to a point of surrender and ultimately strengthening their faith. 
I am thankful she also challenged me along the way. 

For a spotlight on Travis, and a unique review of Short-Straw Bride, check out my other blog: 

Back Cover:
Four brothers. Four straws. One bride.

No one steps on Archer land. Not if they value their life. But when Meredith Hayes overhears a plot to burn the Archer brothers off their ranch, a long-standing debt compels her to take the risk.

Years of constant vigilance hardens a man. Yet when Travis Archer comes across a female trespasser with the same vivid blue eyes as the courageous young girl he once aided, he can't bring himself to send her away. And when an act of sacrifice leaves her injured and her reputation in shreds, gratitude and guilt prompt him to attempt to rescue her once again.

Despite the fact that Travis is no longer the gallant youth Meredith once dreamed about, she vows to stand by his side. But will love ever be hers? Or will Travis always see her as merely a short-straw bride?

No comments:

Post a Comment