Saturday, December 14, 2013

2013- 12 Days of Fiction: DAY 10!

With Every Letter by Sarah Sundin

I just want you to take a moment and appreciate the cover of this book. It's so rich! I'm a little partial to it because one of my favorite photographers, Brandon Hill, took the picture used for the cover art. I actually saw this image on his blog before I discovered Sarah's book! 
The WINGS OF THE NIGHTINGALE series attracted me for several reasons, but what really connected me to the story, and with Mellie, is the fact that she is a Filipino. Sounds strange, but there's a good reason. It just so happens that my youngest sister, Alice, was adopted from the Philippines. She's been a part of our family for 3 years now, and I couldn't be more thankful that she is finally home.  
So you see, I was automatically invested in the heroine even before I started reading With Every Letter. I wanted Mellie to succeed. The connection was personal. 
My favorite thing about this story is that Sarah takes her time drawing the characters together. The characters mature together, becoming so much a part of each other in the process that reading "The End" on a story has never been more satisfying. 
Against the conflict of WWII when death is an ever present reality, the friendship and ultimate romance between Tom and Mellie is a breath of fresh air. 
Well researched, with a great cast of secondary characters, Letter is a story not soon forgotten. 

Back Cover: 
They know everything about each other--except their real names.

Lt. Mellie Blake is looking forward to beginning her training as a flight nurse. She is not looking forward to writing a letter to a man she's never met--even if it is anonymous and part of a morale-building program. Lt. Tom MacGilliver, an officer stationed in North Africa, welcomes the idea of an anonymous correspondence--he's been trying to escape his infamous name for years.

As their letters crisscross the Atlantic, Tom and Mellie develop a unique friendship despite not knowing the other's true identity. When both are transferred to Algeria, the two are poised to meet face-to-face for the first time. Will they overcome their fears and reveal who they are, or will their future be held hostage by their pasts?

Combining a flair for romance with excellent research and attention to detail, Sarah Sundin vividly brings to life the perilous challenges of WWII aviation, nursing--and true love. 

And, once again, for more about Mellie's story, head here: 
http://www.fictionherofeatures.com/2013/10/tom-macgilliver.html

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Joy! What an absolutely lovely review! And I adore this cover too - not only is the picture gorgeous, but he captured Mellie's shy but determined personality.

    ReplyDelete