Monday, December 30, 2013

Raspberries and Vinegar


My parents have talked about living off the grid quite a bit. We do our best to eat fresh food.  
Could we do better? Yep. 
Do I still go out and eat the occasional fast food burger? You bet.
Do I believe you are going straight to the bad place downstairs if you don't grow your own food? Um, that would be a no (and I'm pretty sure Valerie doesn't, either). 
Why am I asking these questions? Because. I am about to share a book with you that I enjoyed very, very much. But I must warn you that it may change how you feel about what you eat. And I mean that in the best possible way. :) 



This book delivers exactly what it promises on the front cover. It's about a farm. It's fresh. And it's a romance.

It's about a farm.

But this isn't just any farm. It's a back to nature, make your own compost, heritage seeds only, as-organic-as-you-can-get farm. Jo and her buddies Sierra and Claire are serious about changing the way we as a culture look at food. They're passionate about being good stewards of the earth, and as a result, taking care of the human body in the process. Move over, Super One- Green Acres has come to town!

It's fresh.

I could compare reading this book to eating a crunchy, home grown, leafy green salad. It's just plain good! I have never read a book like this before, and I believe Valerie's voice has definitely been missing in the Christian fiction market. Valerie's characters have minds of their own. They're snarky. They have dreams. They have "issues". And in the end, they come to a point of asking, as we all must, "Who's plan am I following? Am I doing what I want, or am I doing what God wants?"

It's a romance.

Yep. No denying the chemistry between Jo & Zach drives this story. But it's also about the love of the land. The love of the simple life- and the simple things in life. It's about loving those near to you while you still have time. It's about loving another person, even if you will never see eye to eye with them. And most of all, it's about loving God, and desiring to follow Him no matter where it might take you.

Can this book be confrontational? Yes.
Will it challenge the way you as a reader look at the food on your plate? Yes.
That's kind of the point.
 Raspberries and Vinegar will stick with you long after you finish reading it. And, just like that fresh salad, you will be wanting more.
Want to know more about Valerie? http://valeriecomer.com

2 comments: